Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Ice Shelf's Death is a Wake-Up Call

Yesterday I read that an Antarctic ice shelf the size of Manhattan is collapsing into the ocean. The shelf was so massive, old and permanent-seeming that it had a name: Wilkins. Poor icy Wilkins is now all sad and busted up. Seems the temperature around the western Antarctic peninsula has been rising a rate of nearly one degree Fahrenheit per decade over the past 50 years.

I think most of us know what killed Wilkins. We did.

Luckily our old friend Wilkins was already floating, so there won't be any change in sea levels. That won't always be the case. Higher tides are coming with the warmer days ahead. We may not all end up drowning like polar bears, but the temperatures, they are a-changin'.

Wilkins' warning woke me up from my blogging slumber. Despite some frustrating setbacks that I will write about later, I'm still trying to get a little bit greener and I hope you are too. Let's work this problem together. It's too late for Wilkins, but it might not be too late for us.

1 comment:

Jasmine Phillips said...

Yay, you're back. In a depressing post...but still back!