Sunday, November 25, 2007

Close Your Storm Windows, Silly

So I had one of those "slap myself on the head" moments this morning. You see, it turned cold this weekend, and that means the old gas furnace is working overtime, even with the thermostat programmed to a modest 62 degrees. (I just can't turn it any lower or my very cute hairless guinea pig will get sick. Don't you dare say he isn't cute!)

The house is pretty drafty and it has really old single-pane windows. A few of them even have ancient wooden frames that leak cold air like--ancient wooden frames. Newer windows have two or three panes, argon fills and special coatings to block UV light. However, all of that technology costs money that I don't have right now.

My dad recommended that I get some insulating window clings that you attach to the frame with double sided tape and then shrink tight with a hair dryer. It might look pretty cheesy to have shrink-wrapped windows, but I was desperate so I searched for some online. I was all set to order, when I decided to measure the windows. That's when I slapped my head. The windows have STORM PANES that I hadn't pulled into place! I had them set up to have screens on the bottom for the summertime and had forgotten to switch the setup for winter. D'oh!

Long story short, I flew around the house snapping the storm windows down left and right. Draft problem=solved!

I'll bet lots of folks (ok at least a few) have made the same costly mistake this winter. Close those storm windows...

Care2 Greenliving has some more tips for weatherizing your windows.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I made that mistake the first winter in my new house. Boy were those first few heating bills pricey!

Brennen said...

Whew. I'm not the only one!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness, I stared at that creature for a long moment trying to figure out what it was. A nudist guinea pig! Very cute.