Monday, December 17, 2007

Battery, O Battery, I hate to Chuck a Battery

Moixa USBCell BatteryIf you're like me, you probably use AA and AAA batteries in a bunch of devices that you use daily. My list includes my beloved Bose headphones, PowerShot camera, electric toothbrush, Wiimotes, bicycle lights and of course a bunch of weird sex toys. Let's face it--if any of these mission-critical devices runs out of juice I'm in big trouble.

I'll tell you what I don't do anymore. I don't head to my local Radio Shack and buy a bunch of Alkaline batteries. Even though Alkaline batteries have much less toxic mercury in them than they used to, they're single-use and not widely recycled. I don't like chucking batteries into my local landfill and it's just plain expensive to keep purchasing new ones.

The new hotness in batteries is Nickel-Metal Hydride or NiMH. These puppies are rechargeable hundreds of times, long-lasting and recyclable. I routinely snap 100 or more pictures before they crap out on me. NiMH batteries are sweet. I honestly think that the industry doesn't really want to hype these awesome batteries because it will ruin the gravy train of single-use models.

There is, however, one major problem with rechargeable batteries: you need to have a recharger handy. How am I supposed to concentrate in my noisy office when my noise-reducing headphones have died and I don't have the charger with me? Devastating!

Check this out--a company called Moixa Energy has developed the USBCell Battery. These AA NiMH batteries have self-contained smart chargers that plug right into your USB port for charging. I bet your desk is just crawling with USB ports waiting to juice up your batteries. Moixa plans to sell other battery sizes including AAA and 9V. Never again will I have to endure the endless celebrity gossip of coworkers while my headphones are dead and useless.**

**Just kidding guys. You know I love Britney and Brangelina.

All About Battery Recycling (Earth 911)
The USBCell Battery from Moixa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a wii? This is an outrage.

Brennen said...

I also have a wii wii.