Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Bringing Your Own Reusable Bags Does Take a Little Nerve

In my very first post on this blog, I mentioned that I am not a perfect environmentalist, eco-geek, greenie, tree hugger or whatever you want to call it. Far, far from perfect. Living a greener lifestyle has been a gradual adaptation for me and I think I'm still at the very beginning of my journey.

I will illustrate this imperfection over and over again in this space, but here's a glaring example. As I've ranted before, plastic bags suck and it's better to bring your own reusable bags when you go shopping. Basic, right? But I have to admit that I forget or ignore my own advice once in a while. There are two main culprits here:

  • I accidentally leave my reusable bags at home when I head out to the store
  • While I have gotten used to the idea of using my own bags at the grocery store, I still haven't quite accepted the notion of using my own bags at other kinds of retailers
The first culprit is easy to deal with. I now always leave the bags in the car (yes I drive a car sometimes) after I'm finished with them. If I forget to bring the bags into the store, I head right back out and get them. No excuses.

The second culprit is a little more complicated, but I think it boils down to the fact that it's kind of a bold move to whip out your own bag at Macy's or Target. In America, this behavior is still so rare that I sometimes feel a little silly doing it. In all likelihood, the cashier has never encountered someone who brought their own bag and it does tend to raise eyebrows and elicit comments. Usually there are a few moments of confusion as the checker figures out what I want them to do, and I have to explain it again. It's outside of the normal routine and it can slow things down a tiny bit. A conversation might happen, and it often ends with the checker or other people in line complimenting me on my choice. It's a good dialogue and it sets a good example, but honestly I don't really like the attention. I'd prefer to get in and get out with no fuss.

More and more, I'm gritting my teeth and doing what I know is right. My own pride and shyness shouldn't stop me from changing my behavior for the better. Maybe you're not as shy as me and this sort of thing doesn't bother you. But if it does, just remember that you're joining a quiet revolution and other folks like me are taking the bullet right along with you.

The last time I brought my own bag was to a Dollar Store this weekend. The cashier was totally unfazed and it went as easily as if she had used the normal plastic bags. God bless her. Maybe someday it'll always be as easy as that.

Danny at Simply Green has a lovely post about the joys and perils of bringing your own bag, and the many comments are worth reading.

2 comments:

Mrs. Harridan said...

Any time I do this at non-grocery retailers, someone tells me what a good idea it is. It's empowering.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of Baggus. They aren't exactly cheap, but since I got them this summer they've totally made up their price in their usefulness.

They fold down into a small flat envelope-like pouch, are incredibly sturdy (toted a wooden box of Clementines plus other groceries) weigh next to nothing, and take up 0% of space in my purse (for people who don't use purses, the envelopes will fit into a back pocket).

I try my best to use them for everything, in every store. The only minus is when the store thinks it's an item they sell and tries to charge me for it!

(Reusable Bags also has a Baggu-like bag, the Acme Workhorse.)